It would be nice, and tasty, if this were true, and I for one was really hoping this rumored natural remedy for seasonal allergies would provide at least a little relief for my husband, my son and me. But the theory, it appears, is false. Experts will tell you that it’s generally the pollen from trees, grasses and weeds, not the pollen from flowers (carried by bees), that causes seasonal allergy symptoms. And local honey does not have enough of this type of pollen to ward off the symptoms.
Here’s how the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology puts it:
There is a widespread belief that eating local, unprocessed or “raw” honey can help allergy symptoms by regularly exposing you to pollen – not unlike the concept of how allergy shots work. Allergy injections help desensitize pollen-allergic people by exposing them to a specific pollen or pollen mixture injected at regular intervals. An important difference here is that the pollen amounts in allergy injections are known, and progressively increasing to a certain level, for best results. Studies have shown allergy shots are very effective for decreasing seasonal allergy symptoms.
Local, unprocessed honey does contain small amounts of pollen from the environment. The pollen in honey is mostly from the flowers where bees are found (with flowering plant pollen less likely to cause allergy symptoms) and allergenic, airborne pollen from trees, grasses and weeds (not pollinated by bees!) in lesser amounts. Thus, the amount of allergenic pollen in the honey is typically very small, as bees don’t intentionally incorporate this pollen into the honey. This is considered a contaminant, like the bee parts, mold spores, bacteria and other environmental particles that can be found in honey. (Commercial processing seems to remove most pollen and contaminants.)
There is no scientific proof that eating local honey will improve seasonal allergies. One study, published in 2002 in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, showed no difference among allergy sufferers who ate local honey, commercially processed honey, or a honey-flavored placebo. And in rare cases there might actually be a risk. In extremely sensitive individuals, the ingestion of unprocessed honey can result in an immediate allergic reaction involving the mouth, throat, or skin – such as itching, hives or swelling – or even anaphylaxis. Such reactions may be related to either pollen or bee part contaminants.
So go ahead, put some local honey in your tea this fall, and enjoy. But don’t expect to stop sneezing or get a much-needed boost of energy from it. Better bet is to talk to a trusted doctor about where your symptoms are coming from, and what you both feel comfortable doing about them.